Monday, September 14, 2009

Not so big, big girl!

We have been dealing with a variety of "lovely" issues in the Gilbreath household this past week. I have yet to come to an exact diagnosis, but Ainslee has been suffering from some kind of separation anxiety, which led to her absolutely not wanting to nap or go to bed (alone). This has also been accompanied by getting her 2 year molars (because she's advanced like that). To make all of these matters even worse, she discovered that she could climb out of her crib. What to do, what to do? Well, having her scream and bang on her bedroom door was starting to get a little old (after about 5 minutes), so was waking up 4 times a night, and sleeping in our bed. This is the child who very willingly would take a 3-4 hour nap and sleep 12 hours at night!
So, Friday afternoon Ainslee and I headed to Kerrville to pick up the toddler bed we had waiting in my parent's attic. After a few trial and errors, my mom suggested we try the "Super Nanny approach." We put her to bed like normal and every time she got up we were to walk/carry her back to her bed and tell her to stay in bed. I was mentally preparing myself for about 50-100 times of this, but after just THREE times she gave up and went to sleep! I just put her down for her nap and it only took TWO times to get her stay in bed and fall asleep. I call that progress!
I was totally not ready for this "big girl" bed thing. I was hoping she would sleep in a crib forever, or at least until she was 3. But, as usual, I guess she had other plans.

3 comments:

Katie K said...

Way to stick it out and be tough, Mom!

Katy said...

Hopefully it only gets better from here!!! In the morning when she wakes up what does she do? Stay in bed? play? call for you?

Laura said...

Oh what a big girl! We will have to figure something out for when yall come to see us. Although she could just sleep in the day bed we have in the nursery. We can figure it out. I got the dress and it is adorable!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't buy something that cute! You need to start selling them. The fabric choices are so perfect together Sorry I havent called yet. We got back from beach Sunday night.
Laura